What is the Pedal the Peel Cycling Challenge?
The Challenge has been revamped for 2021 in a new and exciting format to continue our fun and social cycling challenge. This year the event will be held at the Tamworth Criterium Track on Sunday 18th April.
The event will be run in a team format with a minimum of four riders per team and a maximum of ten riders per team. The aim of the event is to fundraise for a range of charities, with the major charity being the Ronald McDonald House.
Throughout the day a range of activities will be provided to enable teams to win more laps - the team who completes the most amount of laps by the end of the day will be able to donate 25% of the money they raise to a local charity of their choice.
Where do the funds raised go?
Funds raised are comprised of your team registration fee and your own fundraising.
- 50% of the registration fee from each team will be donated to the Ronald McDonald House Tamworth
- 25% to a local charity nominated by the team that rides the most laps in both the four and eight hour events
- 25% to a local charity nominated by the team that raises the most charitable money
Raising your own funds
Teams are encouraged to raise their own funds over and above the registration fee ($500 per team). For example a team may create a Go Fund Me Account (CLICK HERE), seek sponsorship on a per lap or per hour basis, host a sausage sizzle and or garage sale, host a wine tasting, movie night etc.
The funds raised by teams will be donated as follows:
- 50% to Ronald McDonald House
- 50% to local charities nominated by each team - every team that raises charitable dollars will be able to donate half to their chosen local charity with the possibility of substantially increasing that amount if a team wins a category
The inaugural Pedal the Peel Cycling Challenge was conceived and run by the Rotary Club of Tamworth First Light in 2010.
The Challenge was held again on the 21st October 2012, 12th October 2014, 11th October 2015, 2nd April 2017 and 8th April 2018, with all events being an outstanding success.
The Challenge, last held in 2019 and raised approximately $30,000 for local charities.
A Tamworth Community Initiative
In 2021, our objective is to:
- To raise funds for this year's major charity - Ronald McDonald House
- To provide the opportunity for teams to fundraise for local charities
- To provide teams with the opportunity to win additional funds for their nominated charity
- Support local community charities and not for profit organisations in Tamworth and the region
- Ensure all participants have fun and enjoy themselves